I was in charge of bringing dinner to our Bachelor viewing party last night and I decided to take a pot of the best vegetarian chili I've ever eaten.
Honestly, I think Dann and I have made this stuff six or seven times since we first tried it back in September. It's SO good. Plus it makes enough to feed at least ten people.
And when it started snowing right as I arrived home from the grocery store to start fixing it, I knew I'd made the right decision.
Vegetarian Chili Recipe (modified from epicurious)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 4 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 29-ounce cans black beans
- 1 15-ounce can green beans (or a handful of raw ones!)
- 1 15-ounce can whole corn
- 1 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 16-ounce cans tomato sauce
In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and peppers in the oil for about 10-12 minutes. Add the spices and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Add all of the canned ingredients and mix well - then bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and let the chili simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve with cheese, sour cream, cilantro, Fritos, and maybe some cornbread.
And if some of your favorite ladies plus Sean The Bachelor happen to be around, well then you win.